Yet another building on campus that has gotten a recent rennovation is the Laurence S. Hill Physical Education Center, celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year.
The building, built and dedicated as the campus’s new gymnasium in 1964, was the first designated home for the Ithaca School of Physical Education, previously forced to hold classes in various buildings around the Ithaca area.
Before the school had its permanent home, Laurence S. Hill ran the department of Physical Education. Coming to Ithaca in 1929, Hill firmly ran the program for many years, retaining the title of Dean until his death in July of 1957 after having a heart attack months proir.
Hill came from the Albany school systems and promoted the philosophy of the New York State director of Phsyical Education, Frederick Rand Rogers. They agreed and taught that physical education programs were to be concerned with physical fitness and its measurement, competition between evenly matched teams, and player control of the game.
The dedication of the gymnasium brought with it the Eastern regional meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine, a large gathering of educators, professionals and students to read and share their works on the subject. The building was dedicated as the Laurence S. Hill Physical Education Center in February of 1968 with a ceremony including his widow, Mrs. Hill.
The academic year of 1964-65 finally marked the expansion of the college’s facilities, giving both the music and athletics schools adequate space and resources to educate their growing population of students.